If you are running Windows 10 on your device and you are looking for apps that are designed to work on computers as well as mobile devices then you will need to go through the Windows Store. The Windows Store has gone through a massive overhaul with the launch of Windows 10. However, navigation is simple and you will find it easy to use. You will find apps, games, movies and music that can be installed on your Windows 10 device.
Here is how you can find and install an app in the new Store:
- In order to find an app, open up the Windows Store. You will see your home page. The home page features apps, games, music, movies and TV shows. If you just want to look for apps or games then click the Apps or Games tabs which are located on the top of the screen.
- Based on the apps that are already installed on your device, you will find recommendations for apps that you may want to install. When you scroll down, you will see side-scrolling lists of the top free and top paid apps. You will also be able to choose from lists of best-rated apps and new and rising apps.
- Towards the bottom of the screen you will see a list of apps under ‘Collections’. These are lists of apps that are more focused than those in the general categories. For example you will find a collection of apps under Music lovers which is focused on music.
- Right at the bottom of the screen you will find a list of all app categories. If you are looking for a specific app, then you can simply type the name, developer or category in the search bar which is located in the upper right hand corner. You will then be able to refine your search further by choosing the type and then the category or the genre of the app.
To get an app you will need a Microsoft account which is linked with a payment method. If you would like to manage your payment options then click on the icon with your account photo within the Windows Store. Now select Payment options from the drop down menu. You will be automatically redirected to Microsoft’s web portal where you must sign in to your account to add or manage your payment options.
Apps can be any one of the following when it comes to cost:
- Free – This app is completely free and has no in-app purchases in it.
- Free+ – This app is free but in app purchases are available.
- Free Trial – This app must be purchased for unlimited use, but if you want to try it, a free trial of 7 days is available. Once the trial expires you will be asked to purchase the app to continue using it.
- Free Trial+ – Just like free trial, you can try the app for free, but after 7 days you will have to purchase the application. Additionally, the app has in-app purchases which cost money but they will be available only after you purchase the app.
- Price – You will have to pay to get this app, but there are no in-app purchases.
- Price + – You pay for the app and it includes in-app purchases as well.
To install the app simply click on the appropriate button. Once the app has installed you can directly open it from the app page. You will find it in your Start menu as well under the ‘Recently added’ apps.